With the look of a Hollywood leading man and the build of a professional athlete, people who see him for the first time often ask “who is he?” If you were to pose that question to George Canyon himself, he’d immediately tell you that he’s a dedicated husband and a proud father of two. Family being his first priority, Canyon, a man of Faith, abandoned his musical aspirations years ago to work as a bylaw officer in order to support his family. His wife, Jennifer, urged him to keep writing songs and performing however George felt that it was no longer practical, and put music on the back burner.
In 2004, Jennifer persuaded him to audition for U.S.A Network’s “Nashville Star”- an internationally televised performance competition similar to the “American Idol” format. Canyon showed up, wowed the worldwide audiences and nearly won the entire contest. The rest is history punctuated by industry accolades, achievements and sustained success.
The song, “I Believe in Angels” received a SOCAN award in November 2011, for one of the most played songs at Canadian Country Radio in 2010.
He has sold over 375,000 albums and his critically acclaimed music continues to grow with every record. In 2008 multi-platinum artist and pop/rock icon Richard Marx signed on to produce Canyon’s “What I Do” album. The record yielded 7 hit singles including “Just Like You”, the album’s debut single, which was written for George’s son, Kale.
GEORGE CANYON – AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- April 2017 – National Diabetes Advocacy Award from Diabetes Canada
- September 2015 – Nova Scotia Country Music Hall of Fame Inductee
- April 13, 2013 – Presented the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal by Minister National Defense,
- Peter MacKay
- March 2013 – East Coast Music Awards
- Fan’s Choice Video of the Year ‘Saddle Up’ (Director: Warren Sonoda)
- Song of the Year ‘These Hands’ (Dave Gunning & George Canyon)
BACK TO ARTISTS ARTIST WEBSITE